Friday, February 6, 2009

Things to do in 2009

So, when I decided to move to India, I thought, "6 Months?! Six months to have free time to do all sorts of stuff for just me." I had a plan all mapped out. I was going to learn to cook, since my previous level of skill was burning spaghetti-o's. Plus we lived in freakin' India! I could learn how to use the local spices and get over my fear of the chili pepper. I was going to learn sign language, which I think everyone in the world should have to do anyways, then we could all communicate no matter where we were from. I was going to read. I was going to get in shape like nobody's business. Instead, there was only one burner hooked up to a gas tank, and no oven. Half the ingredients in the store I had no idea what to do with, neither did Brandon (which is even scarier since he can make a three course meal from things a the 99 cent store). Learning to sign is a whole hell of a lot harder when you don't have other people around you on a regular basis. Whenever I went outside I got stared at. Not in a flattering way like I did in NYC, not the "I know you, don't I?" or "You're from that movie, aren't you?" way either. In a creepy, lurker, point and stare, follow 20 minutes to your front door, kind of way. Needless to say I've become a modern day Emily Dickinson, staying inside all day writing, especially after my iPod got stolen, which was the only thing I was using to block out the outside world when I did venture down the street to the mall to get lunch, which was usually the Indian version of McDonald's food. I did read! But then I ran out of books. I bought more, and then ran out of those. Thank God the internet was around to keep me occupied, that is when we had power. And as for getting in shape, well that was sort of easy and sort of a lost cause all at once. I was definitely eating less, but what I was eating was mostly processed food. And when I did work out, I was using 1lb pasta sauce cans as my weights. So with my plans shot to hell simply due to location, I have pledged that once I return to the States, there are many I need to get to work on.
  1. Stay in touch wth the wonderful people that have contacted and supported me on a daily basis.
  2. Finish my documentary and my screenplay.
  3. Not be afraid of turning 29.
  4. Learn to cook as well as my mother.
  5. Use the treadmill in my house then buy some real running shoes so i can keep up with my boyfriend.
  6. Take a sign language course.
  7. Paint more.
  8. Go outside anywhere, anytime.
  9. Start singing again.
  10. Be proud of myself.

I figure 10 is good for the time being, but more will be added as I go along.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Liz! Thanks for the blog love! Your blog is great so far-only a few posts and I am intrigued. Your photos from India are amazing and I enjoyed reading a bit about your experience there. Good luck on your last month there!

    ReplyDelete